KIT | KIT-Bibliothek | Impressum | Datenschutz

Geochemical evidence for the link between sulfate reduction, sulfide oxidation and phosphate accumulation in a late cretaceous upwelling system

Alsenz, Heiko; Illner, Peter; Ashckenazi-Polivoda, Sarit; Meilijson, Aaron; Abramovich, Sigal; Feinstein, Shimon; Almogi-Labin, Ahuva; Berner, Zsolt; Puettmann, Wilhelm

Abstract:
Background: On Late Cretaceous Tethyan upwelling sediments from the Mishash/Ghareb Formation (Negev, Israel),bulk geochemical and biomarker analyses were performed to explain the high proportion of phosphates in thelower part and of organic matter (OM) preserved in upper parts of the studied section. The profile is composed ofthree facies types; the underlying Phosphate Member (PM), the Oil Shale Member (OSM) and the overlying MarlMember (MM).
Results: Total organic carbon (TOC) contents are highly variable over the whole profile reaching from 0.6% in theMM, to 24.5% in the OSM. Total iron (TFe) varies from 0.1% in the PM to 3.3% in the OSM. Total sulfur (TS) rangesbetween 0.1% in the MM and 3.4% in the OSM, resulting in a high C/S ratio of 6.5 in the OSM section. A meanproportion of 11.5% total phosphorus (TP) in the PM changed abruptly with the facies to a mean value of only 0.9% in the OSM and the MM. The TOC/TOC$_{OR}$ ratios argue for a high bacterial sulfate reduction activity and in addition, results from fatty acidanalyses indicate that the activity of sulfide-oxidizing activity of bacteria was high during deposition of the PM,while decreasing during the deposition of the OSM.
... mehr


Volltext §
DOI: 10.5445/IR/1000058153
Originalveröffentlichung
DOI: 10.1186/s12932-015-0017-1
Scopus
Zitationen: 24
Dimensions
Zitationen: 25
Cover der Publikation
Zugehörige Institution(en) am KIT Institut für Mineralogie und Geochemie (IMG)
Publikationstyp Zeitschriftenaufsatz
Publikationsjahr 2015
Sprache Englisch
Identifikator ISSN: 1467-4866
urn:nbn:de:swb:90-581531
KITopen-ID: 1000058153
Erschienen in Geochemical transactions
Verlag BioMed Central (BMC)
Band 16
Heft 2
Nachgewiesen in Dimensions
Web of Science
Scopus
KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
KITopen Landing Page