KIT | KIT-Bibliothek | Impressum | Datenschutz

Microscopic Authentication of Commercial Herbal Products in the Globalized Market: Potential and Limitations

Ichim, Mihael Cristin; Häser, Annette 1; Nick, Peter 1
1 Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)


Herbal products are marketed and used around the globe for their claimed or expected health benefits, but their increasing demand has resulted in a proportionally increase of their accidental contamination or intentional adulteration, as already confirmed with DNA-based methods. Microscopy is a traditional pharmacopoeial method used for plant identification and we systematically searched for peer-reviewed publications to document its potential and limitations to authenticate herbal medicines and food supplements commercially available on the global market. The overall authenticity of 508 microscopically authenticated herbal products, sold in 13 countries, was 59%, while the rest of 41% were found to be adulterated. This problem was extending over all continents. At the national level, there were conspicuous differences, even between neighboring countries. These microscopically authenticated commercial herbal products confirm that different magnifying instruments can be used to authenticate crude or processed herbal products traded in the global marketplace. The reviewed publications report the successful use of different magnifying instruments, single or in combinations with a second one, with or without a chemical or DNA-based technique. ... mehr

Verlagsausgabe §
DOI: 10.5445/IR/1000122220
Veröffentlicht am 28.07.2020
DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2020.00876
Zitationen: 36
Web of Science
Zitationen: 28
Zitationen: 39
Cover der Publikation
Zugehörige Institution(en) am KIT Botanisches Institut (BOTANIK)
Publikationstyp Zeitschriftenaufsatz
Publikationsjahr 2020
Sprache Englisch
Identifikator ISSN: 1663-9812
KITopen-ID: 1000122220
Erschienen in Frontiers in pharmacology
Verlag Frontiers Media SA
Band 11
Seiten Art. Nr.: 876
Vorab online veröffentlicht am 09.06.2020
Schlagwörter light microscopy, electron microscopy, authentication, plant identification, food supplement, traditional medicine, herbal product, consumer safety
Nachgewiesen in Dimensions
Web of Science
KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
KITopen Landing Page