KIT | KIT-Bibliothek | Impressum | Datenschutz

Chromophores and chemical composition of brown carbon characterized at an urban kerbside by excitation–emission spectroscopy and mass spectrometry

Jiang, Feng ORCID iD icon 1,2; Song, Junwei ORCID iD icon 1,2; Bauer, Jonas 1; Gao, Linyu ORCID iD icon 1,2; Vallon, Magdalena 2; Gebhardt, Reiner 3; Leisner, Thomas ORCID iD icon 4; Norra, Stefan 1; Saathoff, Harald ORCID iD icon 4
1 Institut für Angewandte Geowissenschaften (AGW), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
2 Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung (IMK), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
3 Institut für Geographie und Geoökologie (IFGG), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
4 Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung Atmosphärische Aerosolforschung (IMKAAF), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)

Abstract:

The optical properties, chemical composition, and potential chromophores of brown carbon (BrC) aerosol particles were studied during typical summertime and wintertime at a kerbside in downtown Karlsruhe, a city in central Europe. The average absorption coefficient and mass absorption efficiency at 365 nm (Abs365 and MAE365) of methanol-soluble BrC (MS-BrC) were lower in the summer period (1.6 ± 0.5 Mm−1, 0.5 ± 0.2 m2 g−1) than in the winter period (2.8 ± 1.9 Mm−1, 1.1 ± 0.3 m2 g−1). Using a parallel factor (PARAFAC) analysis to identify chromophores, two different groups of highly oxygenated humic-like substances (HO-HULIS) dominated in summer and contributed 96 ± 6 % of the total fluorescence intensity. In contrast, less-oxygenated HULIS (LO-HULIS) dominated the total fluorescence intensity in winter with 57 ± 12 %, followed by HO-HULIS with 31 ± 18 %. Positive matrix factorization (PMF) analysis of organic compounds detected in real time by an online aerosol mass spectrometer (AMS) led to five characteristic organic compound classes. The statistical analysis of PARAFAC components and PMF factors showed that LO-HULIS chromophores were most likely emitted from biomass burning in winter. ... mehr


Verlagsausgabe §
DOI: 10.5445/IR/1000154516
Veröffentlicht am 13.01.2023
Originalveröffentlichung
DOI: 10.5194/acp-22-14971-2022
Scopus
Zitationen: 6
Dimensions
Zitationen: 9
Cover der Publikation
Zugehörige Institution(en) am KIT Institut für Angewandte Geowissenschaften (AGW)
Institut für Geographie und Geoökologie (IFGG)
Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung Atmosphärische Aerosolforschung (IMKAAF)
Publikationstyp Zeitschriftenaufsatz
Publikationsjahr 2022
Sprache Englisch
Identifikator ISSN: 1680-7324
KITopen-ID: 1000154516
HGF-Programm 12.11.12 (POF IV, LK 01) Atmospheric chemistry processes
Weitere HGF-Programme 12.11.11 (POF IV, LK 01) Urban Climate and Air Quality
Erschienen in Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
Verlag European Geosciences Union (EGU)
Band 22
Heft 22
Seiten 14971–14986
Bemerkung zur Veröffentlichung Gefördert durch den KIT-Publikationsfonds
Vorab online veröffentlicht am 24.11.2022
Nachgewiesen in Scopus
Dimensions
Web of Science
Relationen in KITopen
KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
KITopen Landing Page