KIT | KIT-Bibliothek | Impressum | Datenschutz

Cassava yield gap—A model-based assessment in Nigeria

Srivastava, Amit Kumar ; Ewert, Frank; Akinwumiju, Akinola Shola; Zeng, Wenzhi; Ceglar, Andrej; Ezui, Kodjovi Senam; Adelodun, Adedeji; Adebayo, Abass; Sobamowo, Jumoke; Singh, Manmeet; Rahimi, Jaber 1; Gaiser, Thomas
1 Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung – Atmosphärische Umweltforschung (IMK-IFU), Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)


Introduction: Cassava production is essential for food security in sub-Saharan Africa and serves as a major calorie-intake source in Nigeria. Estimating the yield gap in Nigeria is essential to indicate the most important limiting factors for production, and identify the yield gap hotspot areas. Secondly, these assessments may help set agendas in policy development and research prioritization where current information is scarce.
Materials and methods: Here, Wwe used a crop model, LINTUL5, calibrated for five different cassava varieties based on field experiments embedded into a modeling framework SIMPLACE to estimate potential, water- and nutrient (current) limited cassava yield gaps (YG) as affected by climate factors and contributing a better understanding of yield gaps and its potentials in 30 states of Nigeria.
Results: Our study shows that cumulative radiation and precipitation were the most significant factors associated with cassava yield variability (p < 0.01). The YG averaged across states was estimated as 18.2 Ton7ha-1, with a maximum of 31.2 Ton7ha-1 35 in Kano state. Across the states, nutrient limitation accounts for 55.3% of the total cassava yield gap, while the remaining 44.7% is attributed to water limitation. ... mehr

Verlagsausgabe §
DOI: 10.5445/IR/1000155733
Veröffentlicht am 10.02.2023
DOI: 10.3389/fsufs.2022.1058775
Zitationen: 3
Web of Science
Zitationen: 3
Zitationen: 4
Cover der Publikation
Zugehörige Institution(en) am KIT Institut für Meteorologie und Klimaforschung – Atmosphärische Umweltforschung (IMK-IFU)
Publikationstyp Zeitschriftenaufsatz
Publikationsjahr 2023
Sprache Englisch
Identifikator ISSN: 2571-581X
KITopen-ID: 1000155733
HGF-Programm 12.11.22 (POF IV, LK 01) Managed ecosystems as sources and sinks of GHGs
Erschienen in Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems
Verlag Frontiers Media SA
Band 6
Seiten Art.-Nr.: 1058775
Vorab online veröffentlicht am 10.01.2023
Schlagwörter nitrogen, water, climate, potential yield, water-limited yield, actual yield
Nachgewiesen in Scopus
Web of Science
Globale Ziele für nachhaltige Entwicklung Ziel 2 – Kein HungerZiel 6 – Sauberes Wasser und Sanitär-Einrichtungen
KIT – Die Forschungsuniversität in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
KITopen Landing Page